As of August 6, 2020 there are 5 million cases of Coronavirus in the United States and 162,735 deaths. The US population is approximately 330 million, so this means that about 1 in 2,027 Americans has died from the COVID-19.
Because of longstanding socio-economic and healthcare disparities, African-Americans are experiencing a disproportionate number of hospitalizations and deaths from COVID 19.
When adjusting for age, Black Americans are 3 times as likely to die from coronavirus compared to White Americans.
With the support from the Heinz Endowments, Gateway Medical Society has begun a campaign to “Close the Gap in Black COVID 19 Disparities.”
We have implemented a public educational outreach program for the greater Pittsburgh area in collaboration with other community organizations to empower the African American community with trusted information about COVID-19.
Our goal is to reduce the transmission of COVID-19 and save lives.
- Raise awareness and increase understanding of COVID-19 transmission
- Address myths and mis-information about coronavirus
- Raise awareness of health risk factors that lead to poor COVID-19 outcomes including hypertension, obesity, chronic lung disease, asthma, weakened immune system, diabetes and heart disease
- Increase testing awareness and information
- Promote linkage to primary care
- Promote healthy lifestyles
Our educational outreach as part of our Campaign has included:
- Health Infographics on our Instagram Page
- Ongoing virtual webinars as a part of our Community Health Symposia
- Panel discussions on Facebook hosted by 1HOOD media
- Members speaking on media shows that target a predominately black audience
- Direct engagement with local Churches tailoring our discussions based on their congregation’s concerns through the Faith Based Health Collaborative
- Speaking engagements with community organizations tailoring the discussion to the concerns of their Members
As the Pandemic continues to change our healthcare landscape, GMS is committed to providing our community with up-to-date information.
If you or your organization would like to join us in this initiative, please contact us! We look forward to creating new and lasting partnerships that will benefit the community for years to come.